Friday, June 03, 2005

Whatta Day!!

So today was one of those days...where everything just seems to go to pooh.
I finished my horrid social Justice essay at around 5pm yesterday. So I was stoked to not have to pull another all nighter.
So I woke up at around 10am this morning with my floppy disk in hand (Yes I'm old school and ridiculous) I headed up to the Uni to print off my assignment, thinking it was going to be a five minute job, I'd planned to meet a couple of buddies for 'brunch' at a cafe in town. I arrived at the Uni inserted my disk, attempted to open the file, only to have the computer tell me that the filename or pathway wasn't valid. I probably sat there for a good half an hour fiddling away trying to sort out the issue...nothing.
So I headed back to my room to try and sort out the issue on my comp. (which doesn't have a printer, thus the reason for needing to use the Uni ones) I had checked the file off the disk before I left and everything worked, only now as I placed the disk back in the A drive...to have the comp now tell me the same thing as the Uni ones...I was stuffed...I'd been really stupid, I usually always saved a back-up file on my hard-drive, but nooooooooooooo not this time, I'd figured since I'd never needed it before, I wouldn't need it now.
Murphies Law Strikes Again!!
So it's now probably been a couple of hours, it's about 12:30pm, the assignments not due till 5 so I'm thinking I may still be alright. I've already rung the girls and told them I won't be able to make it to the Cafe, and they offer to pray for the situation which was incredibly appreciated. So I give the Computer assistants a call and he comes over to try and sort the issue. He was working on the Comp. for over an hour and a half and he couldn't track anything...he apologises profusely and leaves with his final words being, "Always save a back-up", Golly haven't I learnt.

So it's now 2pm, and I'm starting to get a bit frantic, actually thats probably an understatement, at one point I was balling, and I think I punched my bed a couple of hundred times, till I wore myself out and collapsed in a heap on the floor I was at breaking point, I had no idea what I was going to do, everything felt hopeless...I was absolutely stuffed!! Then my senses kicked in and in a blubbering mess on the floor I got on my knee's and prayed about it. Maybe your thinking that I was getting carried away, maybe I was after all there's always extensions right?!
I guess I've prided myself on the fact that I've never asked for an extension since being at Uni, My goal is to be a targeted teacher once I finish my degree, and in order for that to happen I need a nice steady academic record.
So after I've had my blubber, thumped my bed,had a good chat and pray to the big dude, I stood back up, blew my nose and wiped my eyes and decided to get a hold of myself. Not 2 minutes after I've tidied myself up, but my flatmate Luke walks into the room, saying "Having Computer Probs?" I explained the whole situation to him, and he tells me that he has a feeling the computer assistant was a bit of a twit, and offers to take a squiz...he finds nothing.
It's now 3pm...2 hours and counting... I send an email to the Unit co-ordinator, explaining the situation, but admitting that the problem was my own doing, and that it would only be fair I lost marks...
He replies almost instantly saying, that it would be fine, no academic penalty if I handed it in on Monday...Lets just say I was relieved, but I don't know, it wasn't enough I kept thinking, 'My God is bigger than this...he created the freakin' world, whats an assignment" I headed back to my room, and Got really, real with God, Told the devil to absolutely shove it, and basically put it down to, I shouldn't have to re-write this whole bloody essay, I worked hard on it, I put in the effort, we go through trials to teach us stuff...whats this supposed to teach me, (other than to save a back-up) it doesn't make sense, it's ridiculous.
You might say I was out of line, maybe...
At 3:45 I traced the assignment...don't ask me how it came to me to get it...actually do ask me, coz I'm alright with Computers, but I'm no champ, all I can say is that God came through big time...
I saved the file onto a disk, saved it onto the computer, grabbed my car keys and headed over to the computer labs to print it. There's no paper in the printer, I get paper. There's no ink in the printer...they put a new ink cartridge in. The disk needs formatting on the comp. and apparantly "Formatting the disk will erase all files stored on the disk"
I run back to the flat...just as Liz is leaving "You wouldn't have a disk I could borrow would you?" I pant...She doesn't.
Hearing my desperate plea, Luke comes wandering out, waving a floppy disk, MY HERO!

I copy the file, run over to the labs, NO COMPS FREE!!! ARRRRRG!
It's 4:15pm...
I jump in the car, tyres squealing all the way up the hill...get to the library, chuck the disk in the comp. Print the assignment, speed walk over to the curriculum Centre, staple the assignment, stop to help a little dude from the campus pre-school do up his shoelace, run to the Lecturers office, stop to help an old dude with a huge pile of paper boxes (I could just imagine that the paper was going to the printers, and I know how I needed that) walking down the hallway of offices, no idea at all which one was my lecturers....
Till I see One office, a yellow glow shinning from within, a chorus of Angels singing "HALLELUYAH!!" I realize that I am no longer walking, but my feet are skimming across the ground and I'm somehow miraculously drifting towards the door...

I step into the office hand the assignment to Roz, she looks up from her Desk "Jess!! Neil told me your assignment was going to be late?!" I gave her the brief version of events, to which she sighed and said "Always save a back-up"
from now on I will...

So as I was driving home from Uni at 5pm on the dot...I had my music cranked up to the max, singing praises to me Dad, who came through BIG TIME for me today.
I headed into my room for a bit of a nap, but I just ended up having a pray, which again ended with some tears...this time they were the good type. So tonight as I sit here and type this, I can laugh about what happened, but more than ever I know that God truely does care about the little things in my life, as tedious and stupid as they may be in the grand scale of things...to him, they're as important as they are to me.
God's grace is awesome! My own stupidity should have disqualified me from that...but nope! he's still handing it out free, and all he asks for in return is my time, my life. And seriously whats that?! coz it really isn't anything special without him, and I'd hate to think how I would have dealt today if I hadn't had him around to lean on.

No comments: