Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Moving House

I decided that it was time I shared some of the happenings of life in Melbourne.

I'm still on the job hunt and still optomistic. So I won't over think the situation, once school holidays are over I'll be a lot clearer of some of my possible prospects. More news to come I'm sure.

In other news I spent the day helping Tim move from his old share flat in Abbotsford, into his new share flat in Kew.














Tim was sharing a flat with Leigh and Alanna and things were pretty dandy, I had gotten the distinct impression that something wasn't quite right about the araangements, which I shared with Tim pretty early on, he could see where I was coming from and did agree, but there was no point rocking the boat.
It was an even split. Tim paid half the bond and half the rent and then they split the bills 3 ways. All was pretty dandy untill about a month ago.
Leigh and Alanna both play in bands, so it was pretty normal for them to be out gigging most weekends and getting in late, Tim had no problem with it, until they started bringing home friends and laughing and carrying on until, he thinks, sometime around 4am when he was finally able to get some shuteye.
The next blow came within days.

Being Tims fiance` we tend to be found within close proximity of one another as often as we can, if we had a chance we would spent less time apart, but we had limited my visits to just weekends. Again this seemed to be working well until about a month ago, when I happened to pop in, over four days instead of the usual 2.
Tim was swiftly approached by Leigh, who said that having another couple around the flat made them feel uncomfortable as though they couldn't fully relax and that I should only come over once a week.
Tim and I agreed that for him to pay half of everything and not be allowed the freedom to have friends around his, supposed, 'home', was ridiculous.
We really couldn't make heads or tales of the whole thing, when we're completely honest. Whenever I came over, we either headed out somewhere else, or we could be found watching telly or movies from his room. We weren't even invading the house. In fact I don't think I barely made a peep when I was there, I can only recall ever seeing Leigh or Alana a handful of times during the whole time I was ever around the place.

I suspect they were on a power trip.

However their issues screamed to Tim "...Don't make this your home, just pay the rent, stay in your room and don't get in our way..."

So we prayed.
The situation between Leigh and Alana didn't improve, they even went so far as to say that this was the same problem they had with their last flatmate, and that because his girlfriend continued to come over more than once a week they had to ask him to leave.
Tim chose to cut his losses and break loose - within the week he managed to find a girl in his motorbike club who's looking for a flatmate. He moved in today.

The whole moving swashbang took, in total, probably 2-3 hours...like ripping off a bandaid, quick and easy.
I had the chance to meet Leah [just to keep things confusing], Tims new flattie and she's lovely, very easy to get along with, open and friendly.
It was interesting that within the first day being in his new place, I helped him unpack all his things, so that nothing is sitting in boxes any longer. While he had continued to live out of boxes the whole time he was sharing with Leigh and Alana. His new place definitely feels more like home to him, in one day, than he ever felt in the 3 months at the other.

Perhaps the greatest part of this whole shannanigan is that Timmy and I have been able to see the positives.
  • That flat was needed, it put a roof over his head and was so close to work [5 minute walk]

  • For a while there he had no transport, so being so close meant that he didn't have to stress about getting to and from work while he was adjusting to the stresses of a new job.

  • He's settled and feels comfortable and happy in the workplace, so moving now means that one aspect of his life is stable, allowing him to handle this complicated aspect more effectively [God never allows more than we can handle ;)]
And the best one...
  • We can see the impact our attitude and issues can affect those around us, and seeing Timmy's old home has convicted both of us and encouraged us to make the decision once we're married, when we create our own home together, to make it a place where people feel welcomed and comfortable. We have a better idea of the sort of home we want to build, and it's definitely opened our eyes to the aspects of our own emotions and personalities which can help and allow that to happen.
This whole situation has been a growing time, which is fantastic, God definitely uses all things for his glory! And he whacks the nasty outta them and pumps some good in. Heck knows, Tim defintitely appreciates this new home, and he's actually started calling it that, which is beautiful. This is the first place in Melbourne I've ever heard him refer to as 'home'.







Now he's finally feeling comfortable and happy. Makes me feeling utterly blissful.








Surely, life is never easy - but if we look we're sure to find the good mixed up amongst the trials. They refine us.




























Oh for the record, his new place is in Kew, which I've been told is a bit of a poshy area...all I know is it's beautiful, really lovely homes and streets - so green! and the best part - He has a bigger room, more modern and cleaner flat, yet pays less rent there, than he was paying in Abbotsford! - God your a champ!

No comments: